Current status: Listening
4/2 Find the PNC at Palm Sunday Food & Fellowship for worship — look for the folks with orange PNC buttons if you’d like to chat
4/13 through 5/8: Take the CAT congregational survey
4/30 Join the PNC listening session at Adult Education at 9:30 AM in Heritage Hall
Meanwhile, email the PNC your ideas, thoughts and wishes
- At the November 2022 Session meeting, Rev. John Molina-Moore, General Presbyter of National Capital Presbytery, offered guidance about the pastoral transition process, including describing the use of a Jump Start Retreat as a first step in that process.
- At the December 2022 Session meeting the Jump Start Retreat proposal was approved and set for March 3-4.
- At the January 2023 Session meeting, the IPSC recommended Rev. James Sledge as Transitional Pastor and Session voted to accept the committee’s recommendation and contract with Rev Sledge for a one-year term beginning February 21, 2023.
- On March 3-4, 2023 the Jump Start Retreat was two days of guided visioning and discernment to articulate the hopes and dreams of this congregation. This will be the basis for a draft Ministry Information Form (MIF) that will be provided to the PNC.
Transitonal Pastor Search Committee
The Transitional Pastor Search Committee was approved by Session on September 26, 2022, and began service on October 4, 2022. The following people served on this committee: Mary Hill (moderator), Carol Stalun, Art Guarinello, Sandy Davis, Kait Murphy, and Brian Comey.
At the January 2023 Session meeting, the IPSC recommended Rev. James Sledge as Transitional Pastor and Session voted to accept the committee’s recommendation and contract with Rev Sledge for a one-year, extendable term, beginning February 21, 2023. Rev. Sledge will provide pastoral leadership and serve during the time OPMH seeks to identify, call and install our next Pastor/Head of Staff.
Pastor Nominating Committee
In September 2022 Session also commissioned the standing Congregational Nominating Committee (CNC) to identify members representing a broad cross-section of the Meeting House membership to serve as a Pastor Nominating Committee (PNC). A congregational meeting was held on February 26, 2023 to elect the members of the Pastor Nominating Committee (PNC).
The Pastor Nominating Committee has the ultimate responsibility for nominating a minister to the congregation for election as the next Pastor/Head of Staff. Over a number of months, the PNC will journey through the pastoral search process, seeking to hear the call of Christ and “to participate in God’s own choice” for our next pastor. The Committee has numerous responsibilities including:
- Completing the congregation’s Ministry Information Form
- Receiving, reading, and evaluating the application of prospective pastors
- Narrowing the field of prospective pastors
- Interviewing face-to-face the “short list” of prospective pastors
- Arranging with the presbytery for the necessary protocols and documentation
- Selecting a nominee to present to the congregation for vote.
- Negotiating the terms of call.
The responsibility of the congregation is important to the process and includes electing the PNC, praying for and supporting the PNC as it conducts its work, electing the new pastor and approving the terms of call, and welcoming the new pastor as the ministry begins.